Wednesday, June 4, 2014

6 Minutes of Death Movie Review – Waste of Time


Runtime: 70-ish minutes, felt like hours
Release Date: May 17, 2013
Rating: NR
Director: Joseph Ciminera


I usually give a brief or not so brief plot outline before talking about what I thought about a movie, but I'll skip all that this time. I'd love to explain the plot in depth, but to be honest, I have no idea what was going on in this movie. My roommate and I were so bored and so confused that we kept checking to see how much time was left. At one point, my DVD player said there was 7 minutes left, but I swear that it took an hour to get through that last 7 minutes.


When 6 Minutes of Death opens, we see a woman covered in marks and bleeding on the ground. A man standing over her whines about her sins and actions before threatening her with some weird metal whip thing. After yelling at her some poor, he hits her one last time and she presumably dies, though we don't see her face or reaction to that last hit.


The movie then jumps to a small town that reminded me a lot of Amish country. All the women wear long dresses and/or bonnets, and the men wear simple white shirts and black pants. The only thing that makes me wonder when this movie is set is when it shows a fairly modern looking woman leading their religious services. A boy in town comes down with some type of virus, which spreads to other people.


We then meet a little girl who catches the same disease from him. As it spread throughout their town, she gets sicker and sicker until she eventually dies. This leads to her winding up in some random other world where she meets a slightly older man. He tells her that she now has a second chance at life and asks her what she would like to do if she could do anything. She tells him that she wants to be a teacher in China, and he tells her that he can make that happen.


The man then goes off to find her a book on China, which after she reads will let her transition into a new life. While he's gone, she hears someone who sounds like her mom calling her name, so she gets up with a different book to look for her. A random doorway opens, and she walks through it with the book. This sets off some weird thing where the people with the books, who work in the library, must find her and bring her back before those working for the side of evil can find her and steal her book, which would bring horrible things to the library and the side of good. I can't even...I'm just really glad that it ended.

1 comment: