Friday, February 27, 2015

Dead on Appraisal – Definitely Unique


Runtime: ?
Release Date: March 1, 2014
Rating: UR
Director: Sean Caufield, Scott Dawson, David Sherbrook


In light of the fact that I reviewed a number of movies lately that I wasn't too crazy about, I thought it was time to post something I really did enjoy.


John Dante just wants to sell a house. Unfortunately, he's stuck with a house that has a horrible reputation. Thanks to a series of bad events that happened over the years, no one in hell would ever buy the place. We then get to see a few of the stories of the weird occurrences.


In one story, a group of friends have a massive party and wake up the following morning to discover that something a little hinky is going on. In the second story, a band moves into the house and tries to live with their random bandmate Freddie. Freddie is a little unusual and a little crazy, which unfolds throughout the story. In the last story, a young man comes home from war to live with his dad only for them both to realize that something isn't right.


If my short summaries of those stories lack any descriptions, it's because I'd rather you just watch the movie and not live through my summaries. Trust me when I say that the Freddie and the Goblins segment is a little disgusting and a little funny at the same time and that this one does a good and smart job of combining humor and horror.


I have a soft spot in my heart for horror movies made on a small budget. A close friend of mine was involved in the genre for a long time before passing away a few years ago. After watching Dead on Appraisal, all I could do was smile, shake my head, and think about how much he would have liked this movie.


If you're the type of person who loves mass produced Hollywood horror movies, you will not like this one at all. If you're the type of person willing to go with the flow and don't need big budgets to enjoy a film, I highly recommend it, if only for the very end.


Dead on Appraisal features a few "outtakes" and behind the scenes filming at the very end of the credits. The roomie and I were literally rolling on the floor and laughing our asses off while watching those scenes. I found my copy in Family Video of all places, but I'm sure that other rental places have it too. If you haven't heard of it before, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment