Monday, July 1, 2013

Grave Encounters Movie Review – "I'm Not Fucking Playing"


Runtime: 92 minutes
Release Date: September 9, 2011
Rating: NR
Director: The Vicious Brothers

Before the credits even roll, "Grave Encounters" lets viewers know that the television series of the same name was canceled after an event involving the cast. The members of the crew, including a medium, psychic, and cameraman decided to visit Collingwood Psychiatric Institution. The film then jumps into the action, showing the crew taking a tour of the hospital and learning more about its history before they decided to spend the night.

I don't want to go into a lot of detail about the plot, so let's just say that "Grave Encounters" is what "Graystone Park" wished it was. The crew get through the night with little problems, but the next day, they find everything fucked up. Even though their clocks all show that it's early afternoon, they can only see darkness outside. Their food, which was perfectly fine minutes before, is now suddenly filled with maggots. And, every time they try to escape, they discover a door that should lead to the main hallway, outside, or somewhere they already were, leads to somewhere they've never seen before.

Let me tell you my story about "Grave Encounters." I saw it was available on Netflix, remembered some good reviews I read, and added it to my queue. Went to watch it one day, and it was gone. Knowing that the second film was coming out, I planned to rent it from Hollywood Video the next week. Then, while looking for something good with my roommate, I discovered this and the sequel were suddenly available, one week before the sequel came out on DVD.

"Grave Encounters" is a solid film, but the problem is that it runs a little too long. I am a big fan of all those ghost hunter television shows, but those shows get a little old after a while. If you ever tried to watch one of the marathons, you know what I’m talking about. "Grave Encounters" plays like a 90 minute long episode. Every time things got a little slow or boring, something good finally happened. In the end though, I had a hard time sitting through the low moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment