Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Ugly Movie Review – Oh, I've Seen a lot of Things


Runtime: 93 minutes
Release Date: May 1, 1998
Rating: R
Director: Scott Reynolds

Simon Cartwright is the kind of man who you don't want to meet in a dark alley. In addition to killing numerous people, he keeps talking about an unknown entity that he calls the Ugly. Simon, who landed in a mental institution, fully believes that he is cured, but he needs the second opinion of another doctor before he can get released. Enter Karen Shumaker, a doctor who recently helped another serial killer get out of the institution.

Over the course of their talks, Simon reveals a number of details about his life. She discovers that other kids bullied him as a child and that his own mother kept him under tight reign. She kept him from seeing his father and prevented the man from helping Simon. The more they talk, the more she realizes that he blames a dark entity for each of his decisions and that the entity might be more than a figment of his imagination.

"The Ugly" is one of those cult films that it seems every horror fan watched at least once in their life. This was actually my second viewing. I originally saw it back in the "old days" where Netflix let you actually get DVDs delivered to your house without paying out the ass. The first time I saw it, I didn't understand the hype, and after watching it again, I'm still not sure I understand the hype.

While it is a solid little horror film, I don't know why it gets such great reviews when other similar films are almost universally panned. I actually completely forgot that I saw it before when I started watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment