Monday, January 7, 2013

Movie Review: “Fright Night”


Runtime: 106 minutes
Release Date: August 19, 2011
Director: Craig Gillespie
Rating: R

Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin, “Taken”) is a normal Las Vegas teen who has an interest in the paranormal. That becomes abundantly clear when a new guy moves into the suburb where he lives with his mom (Toni Collette, “The Sixth Sense”). The neighbor Jerry (Colin Farrell, “Total Recall”) is clearly a vampire, but since he doesn't really do anything for a good part of the film, no one really notices.

Once Charley decides that Jerry is a vampire, he tracks down Pete Vincent (David Tennant, “Dead Ringers”). Vincent is a magician working in Vegas who has an interest in vampires. When Jerry bites Charley's girlfriend Amy (Imogen Poots, “28 Weeks Later”), all bets are off.

I have a confession to make: I am not a fan of the original “Fright Night.” Despite seeing way too many horror and horror/comedy films from the 1980s, I finally saw the original film a few years later. I thought it was a little boring and generally not for me. Nearly everyone I know flips out when I tell them that because they love the first one so much.

I didn't see the remake until it landed on DVD, and I didn't think it was really that bad. Farrell does a good job or portraying the not-so-classic vampire. The way he played with Charley was interesting to watch, and he had some nice chemistry with Collette, which added to the creepiness of his character. It was also nice seeing the little cameo from the original film too.

No comments:

Post a Comment