Monday, January 21, 2013

Movie Review: “Ghosts of Mars”


Runtime: 98 minutes
Rating: R
Release Date: August 24, 2001
Director: John Carpenter

Melanie Ballard (Natasha Henstridge, “Species”) leads a group of soldiers to an outpost in the middle of nowhere to bring back a prison inmate. Among her group is the unusually quiet Bashira (Clea Duvall, “The Faculty”) and the sexy Jericho (Jason Statham). Unfortunately, they discover that everyone is missing. The few people they can find are the prisoner (Ice Cube) and his group of followers who hoped to help him escape.

It doesn't take long before they discover that those who were left when something happened killed themselves in gruesome ways. They find that the workers released a group of unhappy spirits who immediately possessed those around them. Every time they kill someone possessed, the ghosts just find another body, making escape and survival nearly impossible.

“Ghosts of Mars” is easily one of the worst films that Carpenter ever did. I bought this movie when it first came out, watched it once, and sold it a few days later. I never had any desire to see it again, but I stumbled on it when checking out Netflix one day and decided to give it another chance. I wish I had just kept going.

The only good thing about this movie is Jason Statham. This was still early in his career, but he still comes across as the perfect bad ass. No matter how much I might like him or the size of my crush, there are at least ten other movies from him that I would put in before sitting down to this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment