Thursday, January 31, 2013

Movie Review: “Mothman”


Runtime: 91 minutes
Rating: TV-14
Release Date: October 25, 2011
Director: Sheldon Wilson

Seven friends harbor a dark secret: while in high school, they pulled a prank on a mutual friend that ended in his death. Katharine (Jewel Straite, “Firefly”) is a reporter from Washington who managed to put that night behind her. Katharine and her friends conveniently lived in the town of Point Pleasant where the Mothman once struck.

Her editor decides to do a major story on the annual Mothman festival, and since Katharine knows the area, her editor sends her to do the job. After meeting up with her old friends, the Mothman decides to come back for them. Though Katharine was the only one who left Point Pleasant, she is the only one who starts having visions of what the Mothman does. She and her old boyfriend have to team up with Frank Waverly, a blind man who wants to trick the Mothman into showing himself.

Oh. My. God. How the hell did I ever manage to sit through this one? Halfway through watching it, I suddenly realized that I saw this movie before, and I believe that I actually saw it when it originally aired on Syfy. Even then, I thought it was a steaming pile of crap. My father actually grew up not far from where the bridge collapsed so I grew up hearing the stories of the Mothman, and this movie definitely doesn't do it justice.

Then again, “The Mothman Prophecies” was also a horrid movie, so maybe the real Mothman has no interest in having his life story told. A friend, who has a crush on Straite, actually fell asleep halfway through the movie despite mentioning several times how “hot” she was, so I have to say that this really doesn't have anything going for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment