Friday, November 30, 2012

Movie Review: Medium Raw: Night of the Wolf


Runtime: 100 minutes
Rating: NR
Release Date: 2010
Director: Andrew Cymek

Johnny Morgan (director Cymek) lost his sister to the sadistic serial killer nicknamed The Wolf. As an adult, he partners with Elliot Carob (John Rhys-Davies, Sliders) to track down the killer. After snaring The Wolf, they learn that he got off by pleading insanity and is being sent to an old insane asylum. To make things worse, Johnny’s soon-to-be ex-wife Jamie (Brigette Kingsley) works there and the two no longer get along.

Compounding matters is that Wolf’s lawyer Gillian (Mercedes McNab, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) shows up at the hospital. She is worried that Johnny will do something to her client, and she wants to ensure that he gets the proper treatment. Dr. Robert Parker (William B. Davis, The X-Files) is also on hand as the creepy doctor in charge of the patients. When the hospital loses power and the patients get loose, Johnny must protect his wife from the people prowling the hospital.

Okay, so my description of the plot completely sucks, but I totally admit that. That said, I actually kind of dug this movie and I was surprised to see such bad reviews for it. Rhys-Davies is such a great actor, and he carries the early part of the film. Davis pretty much chews the scenery in most of his scenes, but he does such a great job of it that he kept me entertained.

Medium Raw: Night of the Wolf probably suffers some problems from those who go into it expecting a werewolf movie. I know I did when I saw the title, and I’m pretty sure that Netflix labels it as a creature movie, which is funny because it’s a straight up serial killer movie. Just keep in mind that this is a TV movie, which means limited blood and guts, but I still thought it was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment